Military and Family History Research
I provide customized military and family history research assistance to individuals, community groups and institutions. I’ve had a keen interest in military history and genealogy since I was a boy and have been helping others through my blog since 2010.
For the cost of a tank of gas I can provide you with a report that includes a detailed timeline and summary highlighting aspects of your soldier’s experience. I often include photos and maps and always provide digital copies of key documents. Although most reports typically cost CAD$100 my service can be tailored to your needs should your require more or less information. My rates are CAD$25 per hour and the number of hours are always agreed upon in advance.
Here are some of the personalized services I provide:
- Soldier Research reports. My reports include detailed timelines and a summary of key movements, battles and casualties.
- Obtaining historical records. I can quickly locate and obtain records on your behalf, including Canadian WW2 service files.
- Interpreting military records. You’ve located a record but what does it mean? I can help make sense of the unfamiliar terms and processes.
- Photo identification. Your family photos may hold clues that will move your research forward. I can help date photographs and identify badges and insignias.
- Providing context. I can provide background information that may offer insights into your ancestor’s experience and help you see the bigger picture.
- Helping to overcome roadblocks. You’ve encountered a brick wall that needs knocking down. Let me help you identify the next steps.
I offer a free consultation to determine what works best for you. For your free consultation please complete the form below and I will reply by email. Thank you!
“Many years ago, a Canadian soldier’s letter and photo dated Aug 22, 1918 from, Seaford Sussex, C.E.T.D. were found, hidden (circa 1989) in my grandmother’s antique writing desk. Over the years, I had often wondered who this soldier was and where he lived . As soon as I sent the photo and letter to Steve he was able to promptly identify the soldier who wrote it and research his background. I was greatly impressed and found Steve to be a diligent, enthusiastic and honest researcher. If you have any photos of soldiers, you need identified, I would highly recommend Steve.”Michael G.Ontario, Canada
“Steve was able to provide me with the information that I requested on my father’s service in the Canadian army during WWI. The detail provided was beyond my expectations, including medical information from his stay in military hospitals in England. The information was provided promptly and, where possible, accompanied by photocopies of the source. This has allowed me to see my father’s role in the Great War from the perspective of his military unit and the army as a whole. I found Steve’s charges for his service very reasonable.”K.Elizabeth GibbsHampden, MaineUSA
Payment can be made by Interac e-transfer (Canada only) or Paypal. Canadians may also pay by cheque.
I’m so confident that you’ll be happy with my services that I will refund your money if you are not.